Royal Wedding Inspired

It's old news, but that won't stop me from blogging about it. ;)


I know this is going to lose me coolness points among some people, but I watched the royal wedding... twice. (Didn't stay up late for it, though... I'd had enough of that during exams). I do agree that way too much fuss had been made about it in advance, but it was a lovely, very classy ceremony. So to mark the nearing one-month anniversary (and because I can't think of anything else to write about at the moment), I want to share a few of the things that I particularly liked about it.

1. The dress and decor.

I was really struck by how wonderfully understated Kate's dress was for the occasion and setting. And as I watched the wedding, I noticed that this kind of juxtaposition was a recurring trend—the simple, elegant gown against a regal, ornate carriage; the trees inside a grandiose cathedral; the royals driving off on a balloon-and-ribbon-decorated car; the intricate but very subtle, near-monochrome cake. By the end of the service, I fell in love with this pattern... those little details were breaths of fresh air against the overall background of pomp and pageantry.

As I mentioned a bit earlier, I want to start using this blog to collect and share visual inspiration, and this seems like a good place to start... I found that aspect of the wedding really inspiring. Ever since, I've been keeping an eye out for art and photos that explore that blend of aristocracy, regality and/or majesty with simplicity and subtlety. I think these capture it quite nicely (click each thumbnail to see the full piece on the artist's website)...


Left: Leanne Ellis for Santoro. Right: Arthur Rackham.
See what I'm getting at? Simple but regal.


L & R: Kate Alizadeh. Love the contrast between the
majesty of nature and the wee little celebrating people.


L: Julianna Swaney. R: Renee Nault. Don't you love
that juxtaposition between the aristocratic reader and
the elements of wilderness in Julianna's? As for
Renee's piece, ditto what I said above about Kate's.


L: Amy Sol. R: Jeremy Cowart. Amy Sol's piece is regal but
beautifully understated, and Jeremy nails the theme
in this shot taken in my home country, the Ukraine.

I've already started playing around with this theme in my sketchbook... lots of potential here. I love it when inspiration springs up in the most unexpected places.

2. Bishop Chartres' speech.

I loved this guy's address—full of grace and truth and hope, but also simple, humble, and utterly non-preachy. I don't think there was anyone in the audience, regardless of their beliefs and background, who couldn't relate to at least something he said... what a great way to establish common ground with a diverse audience. Here are a few of my favourite parts:

The spiritual life grows as love finds its centre beyond ourselves. Faithful and committed relationships offer a door into the mystery of spiritual life in which we discover this: the more we give of self, the richer we become in soul; the more we go beyond ourselves in love, the more we become our true selves and our spiritual beauty is more fully revealed. In marriage we are seeking to bring one another into fuller life.

I was really struck by the parallel between this and C.S. Lewis's idea that we become more ourselves when we serve God: "The more we let God take us over, the more truly ourselves we become—because he made us. He invented all the different people you and I intended to be. … It is when I turn to Christ, when I give up myself to His personality, that I first begin to have a real personality of my own." Isn't it wonderful to think of marriage doing the same thing? The more we serve the other, the more we become the people that God meant us to be.

You have both made your decision today – “I will” – and by making this new relationship, you have aligned yourselves with what we believe is the way in which life is spiritually evolving, and which will lead to a creative future for the human race.

It's true. God created the world in such a way that progress and love increase together—the more love, unity, and compassion we have, the more meaningful things we produce and the more we can move forward... and upward, toward God.

As the reality of God has faded from so many lives in the West, there has been a corresponding inflation of expectations that personal relations alone will supply meaning and happiness in life. This is to load our partner with too great a burden. We are all incomplete: we all need the love which is secure, rather than oppressive. We need mutual forgiveness in order to thrive.

As we move towards our partner in love, following the example of Jesus Christ, the Holy Spirit is quickened within us and can increasingly fill our lives with light. This leads on to a family life which offers the best conditions in which the next generation can receive and exchange those gifts which can overcome fear and division and incubate the coming world of the Spirit, whose fruits are love and joy and peace.

"Your will be done on earth as it is in heaven." We can never experience the perfection of heaven here on earth, but we can start to approach it by aligning ourselves with God's ways. Expecting that perfection from people is burdensome and leads to disappointment, while journeying together to find it in God leaves a legacy that inspires future generations.

3. The cheering.

Whether it's the sound of Vancouver after the Canucks win (and I don't even care for hockey) or the sound of Britain after the heir to the throne gets married, something about cheering crowds always gets me. I think we humans are hard-wired to enjoy the sound of many voices joining together in rejoicing ...well, most of us, anyway. But, seriously, it's like a little glimpse of what heaven is going to sound like when we stand face to face with God.

4. The music.


Need I say more?

5. Princess Felizia.

I hate to make this post so girly, but I can't hold myself back from saying one more thing about fashion: didn't the Princess of Spain have the loveliest outfits for the wedding and pre-wedding dinner? I mean, half the time, I don't even notice peoples' gowns, but these are just works of art. :)


(Image credits: Will and Kate photo found here; left Princess Letizia photo by Bauer Griffin, don't know who took the one on the right. The art included in this post is copyright its respective authors, and meant solely to promote their work and to inspire. :)

2 comments:

Leaving Through the Window said...

I feel like it's wedding season haha! I just was at one of my very best friend's weddings this weekend and I feel like I got so inspired by them too! I have yet to see the royal wedding, but I feel like I'm storing all of these inspirational things I see at other's weddings, or just in general in art, and maybe someday use these ideas :)

Oksana said...

I know... weddings are always really inspiring, both in terms of design/decor and in the message of love and hope that they convey. :) I've actually never been to one in real life though!

You should def check "Watch the royal wedding" off of your summer bucket list! Oh, and if you're looking for something wedding-related that's inspiring and adorable, look no further than this: http://vimeo.com/12991473


Connect

Visit my askbox by clicking above, or make my day by clicking below. :)

Subscribe in a reader

Archive

Bookshelf

Currently:
- Tempted and Tried (Russell Moore)

Recently:
- Beauty will Save the World (Brian Zahnd) (4/5)
- Lots of textbooks

Photos

Search

Search this blog only

About

I'm Oksana—Communication major, shutterbug, occasional blogger, incessant doodler, graphic design geek, and writer of sentimental prose. I am quite content to spend an afternoon with a pencil, a few blank Moleskine pages, and a playlist of indie folk. I love musical theatre, black-&-white movies, and Eastern European illustration. Conversations with strangers make my day. When it rains, I make a beeline for my mug of green tea and stack of 19th-century fiction. I'm vegetarian about 98% of the time. I'm extremely awkward and rather nerdy. I love the sea. My name means 'hosanna' and I'm having the time of my life living to praise the One who set me free.

Twitter Updates

    Rights

    All content on this blog is by me, unless otherwise specified. If you see a photo, poem, or piece of writing that is not credited, it's safe to assume that it's mine. All of my work is copyrighted, so if you'd like to use anything that you find here, please contact me first. Thanks! If I used something of yours on this blog and you'd like me to take it off, please contact me for that too!

    Disclosure

    Oksana is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. This means that, if you buy something through a link on this site, you'll help fund my music and book addictions, and I, in turn, will love you forever. :)