Thirsty



breeze clingingly swings
from the tips of the stray
strands in her braids; unkempt.
she entertains little
shipwrecked ghosts of thoughts
as minutes fly on the drafts between
the windows open in her mind.

sky: grey and gold,
clouds collide in the pulse of the wind
meeting, passing, melting into
a directionless sea;
an expanse
that feels almost like stillness
and almost like infinity...

and not a mollecule of it has forgotten
the dust it was drawn from
on that creation morning.
there they will all return.
and while she wanders here, forgetting,
the very stones cry out...

harvest overflows onto her feet
as she passes by, but her hands
remain empty.
yet something must have stirred,
for, tentative, a prayer emerges --
silently she speaks,

lift up my face;

her eyes turn to follow the wind's transparent tracks;

break the storm like bread over me
let the wine pour --
drench me in your sacrifice, my salvation,
overwhelm me --
wash the very shadows out from under my feet
and teach me

to remember where the soul belongs,
so thirsty


is she,
for the golden-gilded pages
she reads each morning,
for the red letters, and all those numbers,

and the spirit that inhabits all the lives
that You've whispered in between its lines.

.

5 comments:

Linda said...

Oksana, this was good. You yougsters certainly do have deep souls! (You and Abigail)

I don't think I thought this deeply when I was your age. (:>)

I am glad that Abigail encouraged me to join in on Monthly Monday Poetry, because I am enjoying it.

Mine may not be deep and I don't claim to be very good at it, but I find it a good release for my thoughts.

I am glad that you joined in today. I am blessed by your offering.

Linda @ Truthful Tibits

Abigail Kraft said...

Wow Oksana...this is definitely my favorite yet. Your visuals are stunning! I can just see it unfolding before my eyes. Absolutely incredible. Your passion is so apparent in this...keep it up!

Thanks for joining in! :)
In His arms,
--Abigail

Kaysie said...

Dear Oksana --
Wow... your poetry is simply stunning. My breath is stolen from my lungs every time I read your words. Thank you for sharing with us your God-given ability to capture and paint with your words.

Kaysie

Shutterfly said...

That is amazing!!! You are definately an artist with words.

Oksana said...

Thank you Kaysie and Shutterfly! :)


Connect

Visit my askbox by clicking above, or make my day by clicking below. :)

Subscribe in a reader

Archive

Bookshelf

Currently:
- Tempted and Tried (Russell Moore)

Recently:
- Beauty will Save the World (Brian Zahnd) (4/5)
- Lots of textbooks

Photos

Search

Search this blog only

About

I'm Oksana—Communication major, shutterbug, occasional blogger, incessant doodler, graphic design geek, and writer of sentimental prose. I am quite content to spend an afternoon with a pencil, a few blank Moleskine pages, and a playlist of indie folk. I love musical theatre, black-&-white movies, and Eastern European illustration. Conversations with strangers make my day. When it rains, I make a beeline for my mug of green tea and stack of 19th-century fiction. I'm vegetarian about 98% of the time. I'm extremely awkward and rather nerdy. I love the sea. My name means 'hosanna' and I'm having the time of my life living to praise the One who set me free.

Twitter Updates

    Rights

    All content on this blog is by me, unless otherwise specified. If you see a photo, poem, or piece of writing that is not credited, it's safe to assume that it's mine. All of my work is copyrighted, so if you'd like to use anything that you find here, please contact me first. Thanks! If I used something of yours on this blog and you'd like me to take it off, please contact me for that too!

    Disclosure

    Oksana is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. This means that, if you buy something through a link on this site, you'll help fund my music and book addictions, and I, in turn, will love you forever. :)