Letters

a dusty letter-box lies open;
_____________love notes rest in twilight's gauzy gleam,

valentines, and dry, forgotten roses,
_____________all faintly fragrant of a bygone dream.

she lifts them, inhaling the aroma
_____________that lingers like a kiss upon the words,

as tears stray through her downcast lashes
_____________and wet the pages,

_______________________________unseen by her.


lost in the echoes of her stolen moment,
_____________she clasps the paper memories to her heart;

her fingers tenderly smooth out the creases,
_____________longing to mend what has been torn apart.

at last, she stands up, sets the pages falling,
_____________despairing, vows to put them from her mind --

her letters lie there, in the tarnished moonlight,
_____________unread by her,

_________________________________for she is blind.



___

Written when I was 15. As I wrote this, I hadn't tried to infuse any sort of deep meaning into it: I just sat down to write one evening, and this came out. However, re-reading it now, I feel as if it's an allegory for spiritual blindness and how easy it is to miss God's love-letters in the midst of this unseeing world. I've reworked a few lines to make it fit this theme better.

4 comments:

Kaysie said...

Oksana, oh my, this is so capturing. I am like you, after I read it I thought of the correlation with us and God. His Word is sometimes treated like forgotten valentines that hold no meaning. But the words are still alive even if the page is faded and aged. What a picture.

(I don't know if this is what you meant in this poem, but it is what I thought when I read it.) :)

Thank you for sharing this. I was very blessed.

Kaysie

Oksana said...

Hi Kaysie! :) Thanks so much for your comment!

Yeah, the funny thing is, that wasn't what I'd meant at first... I was just in a pretty dejected mood and wrote something sad to express my feelings. But, rereading it two years later, I find a completely different meaning in it. It's amazing how God helps us to see things differently as we mature -- and even more amazing how God can turn a depressing, sad poem into something edifying that can bless its readers! :D

Abigail Kraft said...

Oksana...your poetry is so beautiful! It constantly leaves me breathless. It's so awesome how God can show us things that edify us in the form of things that we originally meant just to vent. Beautiful words, as always! :)

In His arms,
--Abigail

Oksana said...

Thank you, Abigail!


Connect

Visit my askbox by clicking above, or make my day by clicking below. :)

Subscribe in a reader

Archive

Bookshelf

Currently:
- Tempted and Tried (Russell Moore)

Recently:
- Beauty will Save the World (Brian Zahnd) (4/5)
- Lots of textbooks

Photos

Search

Search this blog only

About

I'm Oksana—Communication major, shutterbug, occasional blogger, incessant doodler, graphic design geek, and writer of sentimental prose. I am quite content to spend an afternoon with a pencil, a few blank Moleskine pages, and a playlist of indie folk. I love musical theatre, black-&-white movies, and Eastern European illustration. Conversations with strangers make my day. When it rains, I make a beeline for my mug of green tea and stack of 19th-century fiction. I'm vegetarian about 98% of the time. I'm extremely awkward and rather nerdy. I love the sea. My name means 'hosanna' and I'm having the time of my life living to praise the One who set me free.

Twitter Updates

    Rights

    All content on this blog is by me, unless otherwise specified. If you see a photo, poem, or piece of writing that is not credited, it's safe to assume that it's mine. All of my work is copyrighted, so if you'd like to use anything that you find here, please contact me first. Thanks! If I used something of yours on this blog and you'd like me to take it off, please contact me for that too!

    Disclosure

    Oksana is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. This means that, if you buy something through a link on this site, you'll help fund my music and book addictions, and I, in turn, will love you forever. :)