Lesson Learned.

As I was walking into my apartment building the other day, I saw a frail, elderly man walking up to the elevator. I noticed that he had deep blue eyes; they stood out against his pale skin and fine silvery hair, but they seemed a little unfocused -- uncertain. He clutched a newspaper with his plaid sleeves.

In our building, we have one big elevator on the left, and a small one on the right. Between them is the call button. The man entered the lobby from the left, passing the large elevator, and pressed the button. He didn't turn to watch the elevator he had walked by, as if he only expected the other one to open. Instead, he turned his head towards the large panoramic window by the door, and commented, "It sure is windy out there." Behind him, I saw the large elevator open with a "ding!" and, after a few seconds, close. He didn't hear it: he was waiting for the other elevator, and watching the wind.

I felt like going up to him and giving him a big hug. I didn't, but that's what I wanted to do.

As I thought this over later, God spoke to me about my own approach to life. The sweet old man's situation seemed to be a reflection of my own:

I ask God for a blessing, but I've already decided in my mind what form I want that blessing to take. I'm so busy waiting for what I've determined is right for me, that I don't realize it when God opens bigger doors for me. That, or I'm too caught up in the winds and storms of the outside world that I forget to focus on what I can do in the safe arms of God.

I think there's a lot to be learned from the mundane little occurances around us. What have you learned today?

Love, Oksana

5 comments:

laura liz said...

that really got me thinking...

:D

Oksana said...

Thanks! That is definitely one of my favourite compliments to get. :D

laura liz said...

lol... strangely i haven't been thinking much about anything important lately... so for that to get me thinking was a good thing!

:)

ladycarmenquixote said...

I just love simple little lessons like that from everyday moments. Thanks for sharing!

Oksana said...

My pleasure! :) I thank God for sharing these little glimpses of his Word in action with me.


Connect

Visit my askbox by clicking above, or make my day by clicking below. :)

Subscribe in a reader

Archive

Bookshelf

Currently:
- Tempted and Tried (Russell Moore)

Recently:
- Beauty will Save the World (Brian Zahnd) (4/5)
- Lots of textbooks

Photos

Search

Search this blog only

About

I'm Oksana—Communication major, shutterbug, occasional blogger, incessant doodler, graphic design geek, and writer of sentimental prose. I am quite content to spend an afternoon with a pencil, a few blank Moleskine pages, and a playlist of indie folk. I love musical theatre, black-&-white movies, and Eastern European illustration. Conversations with strangers make my day. When it rains, I make a beeline for my mug of green tea and stack of 19th-century fiction. I'm vegetarian about 98% of the time. I'm extremely awkward and rather nerdy. I love the sea. My name means 'hosanna' and I'm having the time of my life living to praise the One who set me free.

Twitter Updates

    Rights

    All content on this blog is by me, unless otherwise specified. If you see a photo, poem, or piece of writing that is not credited, it's safe to assume that it's mine. All of my work is copyrighted, so if you'd like to use anything that you find here, please contact me first. Thanks! If I used something of yours on this blog and you'd like me to take it off, please contact me for that too!

    Disclosure

    Oksana is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. This means that, if you buy something through a link on this site, you'll help fund my music and book addictions, and I, in turn, will love you forever. :)